Many symptoms that manifest in our body can be traced to underlying causes. The question arises how do you find out what the causes of symptoms are. When we take a look at how the body works we find that it functions properly when we provide it with what it needs and reduce or eliminate what prohibits self healing.
Measuring minerals in hair is not a new science. Dr. David Watts, D.C., Ph.D studied tissue mineral patterns in human hair for over 20 years. He reviewed over 200,000 tissue mineral profiles. What he found was the inter-relationship between minerals, vitamins, and the neuro-endocrine system.
HTMA stands for Hair Tissue Mineral Analysis
Why measure minerals?
Minerals are also called the “spark plugs” of life. The body needs minerals as co-factors, facilitator, and inhibitors of enzymes. In short, only minerals activate enzymes.
Enzymes are catalysts. They help the body to speed up chemical reactions, but they are not changed during this process. Examples are digestive enzymes, which cause food to be broken down faster than without them.
Enzymes are needed by the body for constructing, synthesizing, carrying, dispensing, delivering, and eliminating ingredients and chemicals our body uses to function properly.
As you can see, minerals have a lot to do with the physical and mental health of your body.
Most people have a high load of toxic metals stored in their cells due to the toxic environment we are living in.
Why we use hair for measuring minerals and not blood?
- The test can be done at home, is non-invasive and easy to perform.
- Blood needs to be drawn by a phlebotomist.
- Blood contents are not stable. The body tries to achieve homeostasis therefore minerals in the blood fluctuate.
- Hair contents are stable.
- Toxic substances are stored in hair and therefore toxic minerals can be detected with a HTMA.
- Blood test analysis gives an instantaneous reading while HTMA gives you a long term reading.
Minerals tested in the HTMA
First, you have to know that HTMA does not measure the total body load of minerals.
- Macro-minerals: Calcium, Magnesium, Sodium, Potassium, Phosphorus, Sulfur
- Trace Minerals: Iron, Zinc, Copper, Manganese, Selenium, Chromium
- Toxic Minerals: Lead, Mercury, Cadmium, Arsenic, Aluminum, Nickel
Mineral analysis reveals:
- Metabolic type such as fast oxidizer, low oxidizer or balanced type. It helps understand symptoms.
- Energy level. If a person is healthy he/she will have a lot of energy.
- Insight in adrenal and thyroid hormones as well as indirect assessment of liver, kidney, stomach, and intestine.
- Carbohydrate tolerance
- Assessment of major Toxic metals
- Detect tendencies for diabetes, heart disease, chronic fatigue, cancer….
- Detecting nutrient deficiency which can be leading to food recommendations and supplementation to balance the body’s chemistry.
- Assessing stress patterns. Hans Selye, MD found out about 60 years ago that stress is the common denominator when it comes to disease development.
- Assessing function of autonomic nervous system: the parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous system. People who are not balanced can experience blood sugar dysregulation, digestive problems, sleep problems and detoxification problems.
- Assessment of causes for Psychological and Emotional illness such as depression, panic attacks, ADD, autism, schizophrenia, dementia, violent behavior, bipolar disorders.
Hair analysis measures
- Levels of minerals (listed above)
- Mineral ratios
- Mineral patterns
The HTMA can tell you how the body responds to stress, the body’s energy production, a picture of overall health and by retesting the changes in the body’s health status.
How does the lab analyze the hair sample?
The hair will be cut in small pieces, weight and digested overnight in nitric and perchloric acid. The minerals are assessed with an instrument called ICP-mass spectrometer.
Important to know that:
Swimming in pools can raise sodium and copper levels. Sodium and potassium readings can be raised if a person sweats heavily right before cutting the hair sample. The shampoo Head & Shoulders can elevate zinc levels significantly and Selsun Blue, selenium level.
Contact me if you would like to work with me. I understand that you have many questions before you can make a decision.