the major antioxidant in our body
Glutathione is a powerful antioxidant which helps to reduce free radicals.
It is present in all tissues and it is the only antioxidant that recycles itself. This fact is very important because as you know vitamin C or other antioxidants get depleted and then they are useless and even get flushed out of our body unused. Unlike vitamin C- Glutathione is a so called redox molecule, this means that it undergoes a cycle of oxidation and reduction. When it is used in the body it looses it’s electrons and it can regain electrons to be converted back into a reusable form. When glutathione looses it’s electrons it becomes oxidized glutathione, when it gains an electron it is called reduced glutathione. Those 2 forms can be measured in blood.
Glutathione even recycles some other antioxidants
Function of Glutathione in our body:
Glutathione and the level of glutathione in the body is the most important factor for preventing the onset of disease.
- It modulates immune functions
- Slows the aging process
- and tests results showed that patients with chronic diseases such as Infections, Heart attack, Stroke, Cancer, AIDS, Diabetes, Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s tend to have low glutathione levels.
Our body produces naturally glutathione and levels decline throughout our lifetime
Glutathione is present in all tissues
- it is found inside the cells, compared to other antioxidants which work outside the cells
- Depletions of glutathione directly effect: immune system, nervous system, endocrine system, cardiovascular system, and effects the
- DNA of the mitochondria. The mitochondria are the energy producing organelles in cells which produce ATP
- Glutathione is involved in phase 2 liver detoxification and vitally important for detox of heavy metals of
- Chemicals, and
- It also degrades hormones in the liver
- Glutathione levels decrease with a heavy toxic burden
- Glutathione protects the nucleus of cells and the DNA inside our cells
- Glutathione protects the immune system against oxidative stress. Newly formed immune cells are enabled to attack pathogens such as viruses and bacteria
- Glutathione maintains the “active forms” of Vitamins C & E. Even if you take both vitamin C and E, they can not work as efficiently with a lack of glutathione.
Liposomal Glutathione is easily absorbed
the smaller the liposomes are the higher the cellular uptake.
Therefor is important to choose a quality product.
The best liposomal Glutathione contains liposomes the size of 20-100nanno meters.
In this picture you see glutathione in 3 different glass tubes. On the right hand side you’ll see a cloudy, yellowish substance which is a liposomal glutathione with particle sizes greater then 100 nm. They either float to the top or sink to the bottom. Both which you don’t want.
You want an evenly distributed liposomal glutathione which also doesn’t smell like rotten eggs. The tube on the left hand side contains small liposomal glutathione. This is how it is supposed to look like, A clear liquid with evenluy distributed liposomes.
Youtube videos on Glutathione can be found here