Chronic Disease, Green Smoothies and Oxalates
What are oxalates?
Oxalates are a natural, plant pesticide if the body doesn’t excrete them, it’s possible they accumulate in the muscles, brain, urinary system, causing a range of problems.
They contain a lot of ingredients with high oxalate content.
The amount of oxalates in 2 cups of spinach is 15 grams; a potentially lethal dose.
The mean lethal dose by ingestion of oxalates is 10 – 15 grams.
Symptoms after eating foods high in oxalates:
- muscle cramps
- joint pain
- muscle twitching
- weak and irregular heartbeat
- drop in blood pressure
- Oxalate binds to calcium. You need to consider this if you are eating a diet high in oxalates combined with foods low in calcium.
- Oxalate intake mg one green smoothie 15,000 mg
- Average dietary intake: 100 mg mean USA diet per day
Oxalates in arteries
- When oxalates crystallize they can be deposited by the body in the urinary system such as the kidney or bladder.
- Statistically about 10 – 15 % of adults will be diagnosed with a kidney stone in their lifetime.
- 1 mill Americans develop kidney stones each year
- Once you have had one kidney stone attack, your chance of recurrence is about 70 – 80 percent
- 75-90 % of kidney stones are oxalates
- Oxalates can deposit in any tissue of the body such as muscle, heart, kidneys, bones, brain, blood brain barrier, skin, and thyroid gland, joints, blood vessels, lungs, eyes, thymus, fat, teeth, mouth, nerves, brain, and bone marrow.
- Oxalates in the heart can cause arrhythmia
- Fungi such as Aspergillus and Candida can produce oxalates. Aspergillus can live in the GI tract and combine with heavy metals.
- Oxalates bind to calcium, zinc and mercury.
- Low oxalate diet
- Calcium citrate with each meal to neutralize oxalates in the urine. The calcium has to be taken during a meal so it can bind with the oxalates. (Calcium needs to be in balance with magnesium. Since most people are deficient in magnesium I would suggest to get a hair tissue mineral analysis done prior to starting with a calcium supplement.)
- Magnesium citrate with each meal
- Vitamin B6 stimulates an enzyme so glycine is formed instead of oxalic acid
- Candida treatment with anti fungal and a spore based probiotic, best would be Megasporebiotic . One more word on Candida albicans. The body probably causes a hyper-immune response to the antigen from the Candia. Even a small amount of Candida can cause a servere reaction of the immune system.
contact me if you would like to book a free Health Consultation.
Resources: Townsend letter jan 2015 issue 378, pgs 52 - 55 http://www.townsendletter.com/Jan2015/green0115.html Oxalic acid in foods and it’s behavior and fate in the diet journal of nutrition 18(3):233-246,1939